In order to visit with an animal you MUST have a fully processed, APPROVED application. Our approval process takes 24 – 48 hours. Once your application is approved, you will be contacted to meet your prospective family member.
Please review the adoption guidelines below to help us approve your application faster.
We take three approved applications per animal and we strive to find loving homes for the animals in our care in a timely manner. CNY SPCA Staff reserves the right to decline an application should they feel it is not a good match.
Your new family member does not go home the same day you meet them. Once you have selected your new family member, we put them in for a final vet check before they go home. Our veterinarian will give them a vet check, apply final flea medication, make sure all shots are up to date, and prepare a statement for your own veterinarian. Once that is completed, we will call you for an appointment to pick up your new companion.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old.
- All family members residing in the home must meet the pet.
- Landlord approval is necessary for those who rent.
- Dogs and cats already in the home must be up to date on all shots. No Meet and greet can be scheduled without proof of up to date rabies on current dogs and cats. We WILL BE contacting your veterinarian
- A meet and greet is necessary if there are already dogs in the home.
- All adoption applications must be filled out completely.
- An adoption application must be completed and approved before any animal can be taken out for a visit.
- You will need picture ID, with name and current address, to photocopy onto your application.
- Any animal on a HOLD cannot be taken out for a visit until released and made available for adoption.
- All dogs MUST be licensed with your Town prior to leaving the CNYSPCA, ask an adoption counselor for further details.
- All animals being adopted MUST be confined in a carrier or on a leash.
- All dog and cats adopted will be spayed/neutered before leaving the shelter.
- It is recommended that all adopted cats be indoor cats only
- Once you have been notified that your application is approved and the pre-adoption exam is done, we will schedule a time to pick up your new family member.
“Hold” is as follows:
- Strays: 10 day hold
- Cruelty seizures (non-court): 5 to 10 days hold
- Cruelty cases going to court: Animal may have to stay in our care for an indefinite time until a court decision is rendered. Until then they will not be available for adoption.
*All rabbits must be spayed/neutered before leaving the shelter.*